Table of Contents
Foreword – Nicholas Carr
1. Engineering Humans
2. Cogs in the Machine of Our Own Lives
3. Techno-Social Engineering Creep and the Slippery-Sloped Path
4. Tools for Engineering Humans
5. Engineering Humans with Contracts
6. On Extending Minds and Mind Control
7. The Path to Smart Techno-Social Environments
8. Techno-Social Engineering of Humans through Smart Environments
10. Turing Tests and the Line between Humans and Machines
11. Can Humans be Engineered to be Incapable of Thinking?
12. Engineered Determinism and Free Will
13. To What End?
Conclusion: Reimagining and Building Alternative Futures